Friday, November 19, 2010

BUDGET is a six letter word




When you're finally married, one of the greatest challenge that comes is budgeting your finances. So I wrote down our monthly (or bi weekly) income, our savings and the expenses that comes with it. I was surprised that only little is left for our savings! I thought that the POWER of TWO means double savings and more money for us.. well NO. This does not generally apply to everyone. But since we are just starting out, I figured that budgeting is a must for survival before the next pay out comes! Welcome me to the club! In some cases, I also realized it is easy to save when you're single compared when you're married. So to single ladies and gentlemen out there, the best time to save is NOW!

Budgeting also requires strict discipline meaning sticking to your allowance and avoid buying unnecessary stuffs. For example, it has been one month since I used my credit card for our groceries. I love my credit card. I would say I'm a responsible credit card holder who never has late fees; nor was billed with interest charges for late and delinquent payments. I faithfully pay it every single month, before my due date. I also help and let my friends swipe to my credit card. In return, I earned points and freebies. I was able to consolidate the credit cards that I owned and the bank increases my credit limit. However, with my new challenged role as a prudent wife, I do not use my credit card anymore for buying groceries. I realized that using credit card enlarges my psychological wallet to think that I have a lot to spend for, therefore, tempting me to go over my realistic budget. Forget about the credit card points now.
Here are some tips I learned below to stick to my budget when shopping or buying for something.
1. It is important that I list down on a piece of paper all the things that I need to buy before going inside the mall or super market. If I know the price, I add them all up too, so I can estimate your budget.
If I found something that I forgot to list down and needs to be bought asap, then I buy it. If not and I think it can wait, I allot money for it and buy it next time. I learned not to be an impulsive buyer.

2. Some fruits, vegetables and poultry products are cheaper and fresher when bought in the wet and dry market instead of buying them in the malls.
3. It is wise to buy items in bulk. Not only it last longer but it is also cheaper.
4. I always check sale items in the groceries. Some has free and added product but still in good shape.

5. You can always experiment with your meals. If you have left over foods, you can have them as an added ingredient to your new dish.
6. I try not to use credit cards when buying or purchasing items. It pays off eventually.

 
What other useful tips can you give to budget and save money? Please leave a comment and share it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment